It’s the run up to Christmas, things are starting to feel a bit festive, but you need something to challenge and absorb your class for those last few lessons. Never fear, our gift from Twinkl Secondary is a selection box of Christmas tasks to educate, engage and excite your students. All of the resources below are available, free, on the website for the remainder of 2018 – just make sure you have registered on the site.
- A Winter Poem Teaching Pack (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-e-119-new-a-winter-poem-teaching-pack, https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-e-208-writing-prompts-winter-lesson-pack)
Engage your KS3 pupils in a seasonal and fun lesson which includes a short, step by step analysis of Hardy’s winter poem, Snow in the Suburbs. The activities are designed to build confidence when faced with an unseen poem and the final writing activity lays the foundations for creative writing which is needed later in the English Language GCSE exam. The pack includes worksheets, a PowerPoint and teaching ideas. It could also be used for lower ability GCSE English literature classes
- The Ultimate Christmas Present Activity Sheet (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-e-88-new-the-ultimate-christmas-present-worksheet)
Encourage your KS3 students to fearlessly attempt descriptive and poetic writing with these festive worksheets. Students will need to use their imagination and creativity to invent the ultimate Christmas present and then compose a poem about it using adjectives, adverbs and similes. It’s perfect skill building for the creative writing element of the English Language GCSE too!
- Victorian Christmas Information Cards (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-h-70-victorian-christmas-information-cards)
A set of fact cards that help to explore how the Victorians changed Christmas. Students can collect information about this historical festive time and create a leaflet or poster sharing their new knowledge in a fun and colourful way.
- Words For Winter Writing Prompts (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-e-207-writing-prompts-winter-presentation)
This lesson pack features materials for prompting effective creative writing through the use of images. Students will be able to imaginatively describe a winter setting using the prompts and resources in the pack. This task is linked to the GCSE Language exam and will allow your students to be creative and adventurous using descriptive skills for this winter-themed activity.
- Form Time Christmas Quiz (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-ptl-9-form-time-christmas-quick-quiz )
Are you struggling to think of a fun activity in the last week of term? Use this fantastic Christmas Quiz with your form. There are 20 multiple-choice questions based on Christmas Trivia to enjoy with your students during tutor time or even assembly. Pupils could be asked to complete the task independently or in groups to answer the questions. You could even use it in a lesson too!
- Create a Christmas Ghost Lesson pack (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-e-318-create-a-christmas-ghost-lesson-pack)
This lesson guides students through a short extract from ‘A Christmas Carol’, then helps them to plan and write a description of their own Christmas ghost. A fun, festive activity for the end of the autumn term!
- Fir Trees, Stockings and Pickles Reading Comprehension (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-e-903-fir-trees-stockings-and-pickles-christmas-symbols-differentiated-reading-comprehension-activity)
This reading comprehension gives students a chance to explore the traditional symbols of Christmas. Students can read about the reasons we celebrate with fir trees, nutcrackers, holly and even glass pickles! Suitable for use with KS3 and 4 students, as well as those ESL students studying at the intermediate and advanced levels. This pack includes reading material, question sheets, vocabulary sheets and a range of other suggested activities to turn the learning into a lesson or week-long event.
- A Visit from St. Nicholas Lesson pack (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-e-146-new-a-visit-from-st-nicholas-lesson-pack)
Get your students in the Christmas mood with this lesson pack containing activities and resources for reading and writing a creative response to Clement Clarke Moore’s classic Christmas poem. Using analysis skills to explore the poem and writing skills to create their own poem, this lesson ticks all the boxes!
- World War One Poetry: The Christmas Truce (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-e-154-new-the-christmas-truce-an-introduction-to-war-poetry-lesson-pack)
Prepare your KS4 students for the unseen poetry aspect of the English Literature GCSE by exploring this seasonal lesson about the Christmas truce in the First World War. The lesson focuses on the context of the Christmas truce by linking it to the song Pipes of Peace.
- Christmas Persuasive Writing Differentiated Lesson Pack(https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-e-1118-christmas-persuasive-writing-differentiated-lesson-pack )
Your students will be able to pick up lots of hints and tips about being festive and frugal by reading this article and identifying the techniques that have been used in this article before applying them to their own work. This task is linked to the GCSE Language exam, allowing them to practise the skills they will need in a festive and fun way!
- Christmas Escape Room (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t3-e-1119-christmas-escape-room-activity-pack )
Create your own escape room in your own classroom. Santa has lost the name of the child for the final present he is due to deliver. As Santa’s elves, your students must look for clues around the room, solve a series of clues and find out the name of the child before it’s too late! This pack includes the clues, puzzles and ideas for the escape room. All you need to add are a few props, a little bit of time to set it up and a sprinkle of Christmas spirit!
- The Great English Christmas Quiz Activity Pack (https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t4-e-1294-the-great-english-christmas-quiz-2018-activity-pack )
A fun, English-focused activity for the last week of the autumn term, this quiz features five rounds (and one bonus picture round) of English-related questions. The pack contains everything you need for the quiz, including higher and lower ability alternatives for each resource.
Remember: Twinkl is the perfect place to find resources for any subject, at any time of year! Our Twinkl elves work hard to create resources to save teachers’ time and inspire students. We are confident you will find what you are looking for on our website, but if you do spot any gaps then get in touch!
Merry Christmas from Twinkl!